Thanksgiving week marks the official beginning of the holiday season. It’s a big week for marketing, advertising, and businesses everywhere. Companies have wasted no time hopping on the billion dollar Black Friday bandwagon. Unless you’re REI and all your employees and customers are flocking to the trails for their #optoutside campaign. Okay REI, way to be the cool kids.
It’s the week of turkey pardons, awkward family photos, and retail insanity. Welcome to week two of: ICYMI!
This week a trio of black bears proved no one is immune to the draw of the 4th meal, Elon Musk showed us what it means to be extra on Twitter, and Denzel Washington threw some cranberries into a basketball hoop on Jimmy Fallon. (You’re gonna want to see that clip.)
Here’s this weeks list:
1. McDonald’s tried to get their head in the Black Friday game and well, let’s just say someone’s getting a talking to today. We’re still waiting over here McD’s. Whats your big Black Friday sale?? TELL US.
2. Elon Musk is an incredible mad scientist cyborg of a human. Musk made a wager via Twitter to build the biggest battery in the world in 100 days. Or it’s free. And he did it! 50 mil was on the line but no big deal.
3. Worried your dog is destroying your couch cushions and eating your plants while you’re at work? The Furbo dog camera is $169 on Amazon today only for Black Friday. We might be reaching new levels of obsession with our fur babies. This thing will even toss treats to your Fido. Whoa.
4. Pixar’s done it again folks! Their latest animated masterpiece Coco came out on Thanksgiving day and it’s everything we love about Pixar. The movie is essentially a celebration of the beautiful colors and culture of Mexico. Spoiler Alert: it’s delightful.
5. Someone on Twitter had the genius idea to start a feed documenting all the bizarre, funny, and truly terrifying things we find at our relatives homes during the holidays. Yikes. That clown collection is the stuff of nightmares.
6. Denzel Washington tossed a whole bowl of cranberry sauce into a basketball goal on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon this week. It was pretty amazing. Happy Thanksgiving?
7. A trio of adorable bears in California tried to get their late night Taco Bell fix. Too bad the cops showed up. Busted.
8. The future is here! Lyft announced on Tuesday they’ve perfected their prototype for the first car capable of time travel.
Just kidding guys.
But the company did announce this week they’ve received a permit to test self driving cars in California. Great Scott! I can’t help but wonder what that DMV experience was like.
9. The holidays are a prime time of the year for a solid direct mail postcard campaign. Our friends at Prospects Plus posted this super handy guide to get you started.
10. Apple is officially ushering in the Holiday season with the release of this beautiful new ad. It features two dancers colliding with each other on the snowy streets of New York. The woman shares her Airpods with the stranger and the two dance their way through the wintery wonderland. Heartwarming holiday ads don’t get better than this! (I watched it twice and I’m not ashamed.)
Until next week, watch out for black bears on your next Taco Bell run.