Can you believe it? It’s December already. The holidays do really have a way of sneaking up on you. It’s been a busy week at US Direct. We’ve been working our tails off getting all of your AWESOME direct mail campaigns out in time for the holidays. Our print facility is working double time and our graphic design super heroes are seeing Adobe photoshop in their sleep. But guess what? It’s Friday! Which means it’s time to recap the week of marketing, culture, and design with our 3rd edition of ICYMI!.
1. Our friends at Tidewater Direct announced this week the installation of an impressive 10-color Sanden 1500 printing press. This ain’t your grandma’s printer. We’re always up for a little friendly competition.
2. Whoooaaaa. This is just cool and weirdly mesmerizing. Thanks Japan for keeping us from making any more DIY fail videos.
3. If you’re an Android user, you’re likely getting super tired of those ads on your lock screen. Well good news! Google has banned Android apps from displaying ads in this manner. Google released a statement saying, “Unless the exclusive purpose of the app is that of a lock screen, apps may not introduce ads or features that monetize the locked display of a device.” Google 1. Android 0.
4. If this isn’t next level advertising. I don’t know what is.
A Swedish pharmacy has created this innovative PSA to draw attention to the harmful effects of smoking. The giant display is equipped with smoke detectors and literally coughs when a smoker walks by. Passive aggressive much? Maybe. Marketing of the future? Absolutely.
5. Heret Packaging, a packaging company based in Israel, debuted what they’re affectionally calling “junglendar”. It’s a stand alone monthly calendar that the user assembles into different animals for each month. The company created these calendars to showcase their facility’s printing capabilities. Pretty neat!
6. Amsterdam is 3d printing benches to reduce plastic waste. I’m done. We can all go home now.
7. New Zealand Air is killing it with their clever holiday ads. This one entitled, “A Very Merry Mistake”, was released this week. This cheeky holiday ad pokes fun at the sometimes hard to understand kiwi accident. It’s delightful. #mirrychristmas
Just kidding. They didn’t know. How sweet.
The internet is freaking out over this holiday tin of pretzels available at popular grocery retailer Trader Joes. If you’ve been guilty pleasure watching Riverdale on Netflix, then you’re familiar with “Jingle Jangle.” But not as an innocent holiday assortment of carbs, but as a party drug of the same name. Trader Joes swears there is no connection.
9. Sometimes marketing gets weird on Twitter. What in the actual heck Moon Pies? Mashable compiled the company’s 20 most bizarre and hilarious tweets of 2017. This one’s a gem guys. How the guy behind these Tweets hasn’t been asked to get it together, we’ll never know.
10. I’m just going to go ahead and say now this is officially the most bizarre trend of 2017. Upside Christmas trees are breaking the internet.
Personally, we think this is just a marketing stunt for Stranger Things Season 3. #theupsidedown
Now get to brunchin’ and putting off your responsibilities. It’s the freakin’ weekend!